- About Us
- Photo Store
Appendix B: Cultural/Natural Sites
Selected Natural & Cultural Parkway Sites
Site descriptions include National Register of Historic Places Site ID (if available) and relating Parkway theme number(s).
- Native Peoples and the Trail of the Serpent
- Route of Discover
- Waves of Immigration
- Hard Working River Highway
- Land & Industry of Abundance
- Currents of Conservation
Lower Fox Sites
Oakland-Dousman Historic District, # 18502, Theme: 3
Several block area of residential homes in the Fort Howard area. NRHP district.
Broadway-Dousman Historic District, # 18394, Theme: 3
Commercial and residential late 19th century buildings with a high degree of integrity. NHRP district.
Broadway-Walnut Historic District, # 18060, Theme: 3
Downtown area of Fort Howard, commercial and residential vernacular buildings. NHRP district.
Astor Historic District, # 16799, Theme: 3
Historic residential community, containing homes of late 19th century Green Bay financial, commercial and industrial leaders. NRHP district.
Hazelwood Historic House, # 16234, Theme: 2, 3, 4
Home of Morgan Martin, an important figure in Wisconsin statehood and the development of the Fox-Wisconsin waterway. Included in the Astor Neighborhood Historic District. NRHP site.
Wisconsin State Reformatory Historic District, # 15648, Theme: 3
Situated on a French long lot, the 21 buildings were constructed during the 1920s by reformatory inmates, and remain in operation today. NRHP district.
Statue of Nicolet, Red Banks, not listed, Theme: 2
Purported site of Jean Nicolet’s landing in the Bay of Green Bay in 1634.
Heritage Hill State Historical Park, # 15691, Theme: 2, 3, 4
This living history interpretive site features several significant historic buildings that tell the story of the settlement of northeast Wisconsin. Several of the buildings are listed individually in the NRHP.
Bay Beach Park and Wildlife Sanctuary, not listed, Theme: 4, 6
Public recreational resource that includes a 1910 dance pavilion.
Fox Theater, # 17774, Theme: 3
Restored 1929 movie theater with a “Spanish atmospheric” interior. NRHP site.
Brown County Courthouse, # 17693, Theme: 3
Fine restored example of a 1908 Beaux-Arts municipal building. Bedore’s “Spirit of the Northwest” is located on its front lawn. NRHP site.
Kellogg Public Library and Neville Public Museum, # 17560, Theme: 3
1902 Carnegie library, constructed in Beaux-Arts style, and restored in the 1980s. Present home of several law offices. NRHP site.
Chicago and Northwestern Railroad Depot, # 18339, Theme: 5
1862 railroad depot in Italian Renaissance style. Located in the old city of Fort Howard, its present use is a restaurant. NRHP site.
Milwaukee Road Passenger Depot, # 17356, Theme: 5
1898 restored Flemish Revival passenger depot on Green Bay’s east side, now the home of the Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce. NRHP site.
Joel Fiske House, # 18268, Theme: 3
Italianate home, constructed in the 1860s for Joel Fiske, it served as the Fort Howard library until the 1980s. NRHP site.
Lambeau Field, not listed, Theme: 3
Home of the Green Bay Packers since the 1960s, recently enlarged.
Oneida Nation Museum, not listed, Theme: 1
The Museum, longhouses and material culture offers an interpretive history of the Oneida peoples.
Holy Cross Church and Convent, # 19415, Theme: 3
6 buildings are included in this religious compound. Most were constructed in the late 19th century, in Romanesque and Italianate style. NRHP District.
Grassy Island Range Lights, # 19391, Theme: 4
Originally located on Grassy Island at the mouth of the Fox River, these two range lights were moved to shore in 1999 and restored. They are an uncommon example of a 19th-century navigational aid. NRHP site.
Green Bay Harbor Lighthouse, not listed, Theme: 4
Located 9.3 miles from the city of Green Bay, in the center of the bay of Green Bay. Tower closed.
Eleazer Williams House, not listed, Theme: 2
No longer extant.
Grave of Ashwaubemie, not listed, Theme: 1
Marker listing the history of Ottawa chief Ashwaubemie, after whom the town of Ashwaubenon is named.
Former Lost Dauphin State Park Site, not listed, Theme: 2
No longer extant.
Randall Street Historic District, # 15560, Theme: 3
Post-depression-era suburb that contains several good examples of colonial revival architecture, close to downtown De Pere. NRHP district.
North Broadway Street Historic District, # 15553, Theme: 3
47 mixed-use 19th and early 20th century neighborhood, including White Pillars Museum, and several homes of prominent De Pere citizens. NRHP district.
N. Michigan St-N. Superior St Historic District, # 15556, Theme: 3
Residential neighborhood that includes one school, constructed in various architectural styles between 1867 and 1950. NRHP district.
White Pillars Museum, # 15428, Theme: 3
Originally the head office of the De Pere Hydraulic Company, this small Greek Revival structure, constructed in the 1840s now serves as the De Pere Historical Society headquarters. NRHP listed.
Main Hall, St. Norbert’s College, # 15254, Theme: 3
Romanesque style college library and residence hall, constructed in 1900. NRHP site.
De Pere Lock and Dam Historic District, # 15357, Theme: 4
Constructed in 1930, this district includes the lock and keeper’s home. NRHP district.
De Pere Public Library, # 15313, Theme: 3
WPA constructed library, designed in a Tudor Revival style to fit with adjacent residential buildings in 1937. NRHP site.
C.A. Lawton Company, # 15386, Theme: 5
19th and early 20th century foundry and machine shop in an Italianate style, now converted into multiple use housing. NRHP site.
Union House Hotel, # 15352, Theme: 3
The oldest continually operating hotel in the area. The Union was established in 1883 as a commercial hotel. NRHP site.
Mueller-Wright House, # 15134, Theme: 3
1850 Greek Revival home, presently owned and operated as a museum by the Wrightstown Historical Society. NRHP site.
St. John’s Lutheran Church, not listed, Theme: 3
Little Kaukauna Lock and Dam Historic District, # 15166, Theme: 4
8 structures are included in this 1850-1940 lock and dam. NRHP district.
Rapid-Croche Lock and Dam Historic District, # 15102, Theme: 4
7 structures included in this National Historic District.
Kaukauna Locks Historic District, # 15046, Theme: 4
Kaukauna Lock 5 consists of shack, garage and lock. NRHP district.
Cedars Lock and Dam Historic District, # 14960, Theme: 4
The lock keeper’s house and lock shack are included in this NRHP district.
Holy Cross Church, # 15016, Theme: 3
1900 Gothic Revival/Romanesque church. NRHP site.
Charles A. Grignon House, # 15036, Theme: 2
1837 Greek Revivial “mansion” built by the Grignon family on the site of their original trading post. Now operating as a museum. NRHP site.
Little Chute Locks and Canal Historic District, # 14856, Theme: 4
1874 lock, canal, bridge and keeper’s house. NRHP district.
Appleton City Park Historic District, # 14355, Theme: 3
This residential area was established in 1881, around City Park. The 141 buildings include a rare English Arts and Crafts bungalow, several large Queen Anne homes and 2 Neo-gothic revival churches. NRHP district.
College Avenue Historic District, # 13565, Theme: 3
27 commercial, residential, municipal, and specialty buildings on Appleton’s primary commercial street. Dates and styles are mixed. NRHP district.
Fox River Paper Company Historic District, # 13357, Theme: 5
The 3 1880s-era Italianate-style buildings in this National Historic District exemplify the early importance of the paper-making industry to the Fox River valley.
Appleton Lock 4 Historic District, # 13440, Theme: 4
Important example of the efforts made by the Fox and Wisconsin Rivers Improvement Company to create an accessible water transportation route to the Mississippi River in the mid-1800s. NRHP site.
West Prospect Avenue Historic District, # 13249, Theme: 3
William Waters designed many of the homes in this residential neighborhood. Architectural styles include Italian Villa, Prairie, and Colonial Revival. NRHP district.
Appleton Locks 1-3 Historic District, # 13082, Theme: 4
A second lock system within the Appleton city limits. NRHP district.
Hearthstone, # 13099, Theme: 4
Designed by William Waters for the Henry Rogers family, this Queen Anne house was the first private home to be wired for electricity, in 1882. NRHP site.
Lawrence University Main Hall, # 13931, Theme: 3
1853 classical revival educational facility that originally held classrooms, a library and residences. NRHP site.
Masonic Temple – Outagamie Historical Society, # 13667, Theme: 3
This 1923 Norman Revival structure was a Masonic temple until the 1980s, when it was purchased by the Outagamie Historical Society. Present use is as a museum. NRHP site.
Upper Main Street Historic District, # 12232, Theme: 3
Late 18th century commercial retail district that includes 24 buildings. NRHP district.
Doty Island Effigy Mounds, restricted, Theme: 1
Site of a prehistoric village. Address restricted. NRHP site.
Menasha Dam, # 12195, Theme: 4
One of the chain of dams along the lower Fox River, constructed in 1925. NRHP site.
Tayco Street Bridge, # 12097, Theme: 4
This classic-revival style bascule drawbridge was constructed in 1925 to carry road traffic over the Menasha canal. The bridge tower is now a museum. NRHP site.
Fox-Irish Cemetery, not listed, Theme: 3
Marker one-half mile north of Neenah that commemorates the Irish and Catholic Indians who worshipped at St. Malachy’s Catholic Church in the 1850s.
Wisconsin Avenue Historic District, # 11404, Theme: 3
Commercial center of Neenah containing 35 buildings of various late-Victorian architecture. NRHP district.
East Forest Avenue Historic District, # 11673, Theme: 3
Residential neighborhood that includes 22 properties, many designed by William Waters in the late 19th century. NRHP district.
Doty cabin (Grand Loggery), # 11434, Theme: 2
Constructed in 1850, the cabin was the home of Wisconsin’s second governor, James Doty. It is located in Doty Park and presently serves as a museum. NRHP site.
Chicago and Northwestern Railroad Depot, # 11767, Theme: 5
Charles Sumner Frost designed Romanesque railroad depot. Currently vacant. NRHP site.
Stockbridge Indian Cemetery, # 10346, Theme: 1
Cemetery featuring interments of Stockbridge Indians. Notable grave sites include John Wannuaucon Quinney, Stockbridge diplomat, and Electa Quinney, first public school teacher in Wisconsin. NRHP site. Listed elsewhere.
Ridge Group, restricted, Theme: 1
Effigy mounds from the Late Woodland Indians, 1400 – 1000 AD. NRHP Site. Listed elsewhere.
Fort Winnebago Surgeon’s Quarters, # 2753, Theme: 2
Built by the US Army in 1825, the fort was one of a string along the Fox-Wisconsin waterway to provide security for new settlers.
Old Indian Agency House, # 2765, Theme: 2
Indian agent John Kinzie and his wife Juliette lived here between 1833-6. It is one of the earliest surviving homes in Wisconsin and is owned and operated by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of Wisconsin.
Fort Winnebago Cemetery, not listed, Theme: 2
Historic cemetery for soldiers from Black Hawk War through WWII.
Zona Gale’s Home, # 1545, Theme: 3
Regional author and activist and Pulitzer Prize novelist. NRHO site, owned and operated by the Portage Historical Society. National Historic Site.
Church Hill Historic District, # 1937, Theme: 3
61 structures including 6 early churches of varying denominations, municipal buildings and private residences make up this National Historic District two blocks from downtown Portage.
Portage Retail Historic District, # 1660, Theme: 3
63 commercial and municipal buildings form this National Historic District in downtown Portage.
Society Hill Historic District, # 1980, Theme: 3
Many of Portage’s early prominent citizens resided in this area. Various architectural styles and buildings materials, including Portage yellow brick add to its significance. NRHP site.
Henry Merrell House, # 3617, Theme: 3
Henry Merrill was the first postmaster at Fort Winnebago and a Wisconsin senator. His Greek Revival home was constructed in the early 1830s.
Bonnie Oaks Historic District, # 2824, Theme: 3
National Historic District.
Old Military Road Marker, not listed, Theme: 2
Site of military road, linking Fort Winnebago to Fort Howard (Green Bay) and Fort Crawford (Prairie du Chien). Used to transport supplies and mail during territorial period.
Portage Industrial Waterfront Historic District, # 1609, Theme: 5
Several architecturally significant industrial buildings, including the Feed Mill line the banks of the Portage Canal. Most were constructed in the 1870s.
Portage Canal, # 2749, Theme: 4
Completed in 1876, the Portage Canal was an integral part of the Fox-Wisconsin waterway. It is listed on the NRHP and owned by the State of Wisconsin.
Pierre Pauquette’s Ferry, not listed, Theme: 4
Paquette’s ferry adjacent to HWY 33.
Fountain Lake Farm, #2875, Theme: 6
The Muir family home site where John Muir explored and developed his conservation theories. National Historic Landmark.
Muir Park, # 2877, Theme: 6
This 125-acre park encompasses Muir’s boyhood home, Fountain Lake, now named Ennis Lake and the rolling hillsides where Muir wandered. National Historic Landmark.
Vaughn’s Hall and Blacksmith Shop, # 5988, Theme: 5
Erected in 1912, this structure was an entertainment facility and blacksmith shop. NRHP site.
Charles Samuel Richter House, # 6221, Theme: 3
The first granite house in the world was built by Richter who was the owner of the Montello Granite Company. NRHP site.
Montello Commercial Historic District, # 5909, Theme: 3
National Historic District
Montello Lock and Dam, # 4841, Theme: 4
Originally located in downtown Montello, the lock was completed in 1868. NRHP eligible.
Montello Granite Company Quarry, # 6156, Theme: 5
The Montello Granite Company was established in the early 1880s and shipped granite along the Fox-Wisconsin waterway.
Marquette County Courthouse, # 6217, Theme: 3
1900 Beaux Arts Courthouse and Correctional Facility. NRHP site.
Daniel and Catherine Ketchum Cobblestone House, # 3073, Theme: 3
1852 Greek Revival home. Later used as a meeting house. NRHP site.
Princeton Downtown Historic District, # 6906, Theme: 3
Princeton’s downtown area retains a high degree of integrity, with several Italianate late 19th century commercial buildings. NRHP site.
St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, not listed, Theme: 3
Irish Catholic Church.
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, not listed, Theme: 3
Neogothis Revival building constructed in 1908.
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, # 7100, Theme: 3
Built 1887-88, one of the few remaining churches designed by German-American architect, Adolphus Druiding. Predominantly Polish-Catholic history. NRHP site.
Princeton Lock and Dam, # 6696, Theme: 4
Opened for navigation in 1877, this lock and dam continued in operation until 1951. It is considered eligible for nomination in the NRHP.
Green Lake Village Hall, # 6847, Theme: 3
Example of Modern Movement architecture, the Village Hall was constructed in 1925. NRHP site.
Thrasher’s Opera House, # 6815, Theme: 3
Restored theater. NRHP site.
Huron Street Historic District, # 7776, Theme: 3
High architectural integrity defines this fine example of a small Wisconsin downtown historic district.
Broadway-Huron Street Historic District, # 7784, Theme: 3
Residential and commercial district containing mid-to-late 19th century structures.
Nelson Beckwith House, # 7810, Theme: 3
1859 Italianate stone house, also known as the Solomon Harmon House. NRHP site. Nelson was one of the founders of the city of Omro.
Berlin Post Office, # 7592, Theme: 3
Contains a WPA mural that depicts Berlin’s cranberry industry. NRHP site.
Wisconsin Power and Light Power Plant, # 7669, Theme: 5
National Historic Site; site of Inter City Heating Plant.
J.P. Luther Company Glove Factory, # 7578, Theme: 5
National Historic Site; J.P. Luther, holder of many patents to the leather industry.
Nathan Strong Park Historic District, # 7883, Theme: 3
The tract was purchased and enveloped by Nathan Strong who was one of the 1848 founders of Berlin.
Omro Downtown Historic District, # 9950, Theme: 3
Approximately 25 commercial structures, many with Italianate details of construction. NRHP district.
Omro Village Hall and Engine House, # 9938, Theme: 3
Two story brick structure with a square four-story clock tower, presently the home of the Omro Historical Society. NRHP site.
Cole Watch Tower, # 10095, Theme: 4
Constructed in 1935, this Italianate tower was connected to the fox-ranching industry, located just west of Omro. NRHP site.
Eureka Lock and Tenders House, # 8493, Theme: 4
Constructed in 1875, this lock and tender’s house typifies the more rural Upper Wisconsin locks. NRHP site.
Irving Church Historic District, # 9541, Theme: 3
Approximately 148 homes many in Queen Anne architectural style, most constructed in the 1880-1890 time period. NRHP district.
Algoma Boulevard Historic District, # 9845, Theme: 3
Home to several of Oshkosh’s most prominent citizens, this neighborhood includes several churches, an elementary school, and homes relating to the Paine Lumber Company. NRHP site.
Algoma Boulevard Methodist Church, # 9728, Theme: 3
Richardson Romanesque church designed by William Walters circa 1875. NRHP site.
Orville Beach Memorial Manual Training School, # 9286, Theme: 5
William Waters-designed classical revival educational building. NRHP site.
Oshkosh State Normal School Historic District, # 9606, Theme: 3
Early 20th century gothic revival educational buildings.
North Main Street Historic District, # 9335, Theme: 3
Commercial and financial structures designed by William Waters in the 1870s. NRHP district.
Read School, # 9685, Theme: 3
Late 19th century William Waters-designed school. NRHP site.
Riverside Cemetery, # 10032, Theme: 3
Late 19th century cemetery, landscaped in the “romantic” style, Riverside contains numerous examples of mausoleums, statuary, and gothic revivial structures.
Security Bank, # 8879, Theme: 3
1925 Classical Revival church. NRHP site.
Trinity Episcopal Church, # 9200, Theme: 3
William Waters Romanesque Revival church, constructed in the late 1800s. NRHP site.
Thomas R Wall Residence, # 9457, Theme: 3
William Waters designed Queen Anne Revival home, constructed in 1898. NRHP site.
Paine Art Center and Arboretum, # 9820, Theme: 3
Designed by Bryant Fleming in 1927, this English Country style, home belonged to Nathan Paine, founder of the Paine Lumber.
Winnebago County Courthouse, # 9324, Theme: 3
1925 Art Deco courthouse and correctional facility. NRHP site.
S.J. Wittman Aircraft Designer, Pilot, not listed, Theme: 5
Hanger still standing.
Daily Northwestern Building, # 9031, Theme: 5
1925 Renaissance Revival building. NRHP site.
Brooklyn No. 4 Fire House, # 8948, Theme: 3
Italianate Fire House, designed by William Waters in 1868. It has recently been restored. NRHP site.
Washington Avenue Historic District, # 9230, Theme: 3
118 residential structures, several designed by William Waters in Queen Anne and colonial revival styles, in the late 19th century. NRHP district.
Grand Opera House, # 9053, Theme: 3
1883 theater designed by William Waters and restored in the 1980s, it remains a significant landmark in the Oshkosh community.
John R. Morgan House, # 9345, Theme: 3
Late 19th century large Queen Anne revival style home of John R. Morgan, now occupied by the Winnebago Historical and Archeological Society. NRHP site.
Paine Lumber Company Historic District, # 9806, Theme: 5
Late 1890s worker housing and thrift bank constructed for employees of the Paine Lumber Company. NRHP site.
Black Oak School, # 7255, Theme: 3
1900 rural elementary school. NRHP site.
Fond du Lac
First Baptist Church of Fond du Lac, # 5109, Theme: 3
Gothic Revival church, constructed in 1900. NRHP site.
Hotel Retlaw, # 5549, Theme: 5
Early 20th century hotel, designed by Herbert Tullgren. NRHP site.
Kendall-Blankenburg House, # 4542, Theme: 3
1874 Second-empire residence. NRHP site.
Aetna Station No. 5, # 6155, Theme: 3
Late 19th century Italianate-style fire station, designed by Thomas Green. Presently a law office. NRHP site.
Linden Street Historic District, # 4303, Theme: 3
Residential Fond du Lac district that incorporates Italianate, Art Deco, and Octagon-mode architectural styles. NRHP district.
Moose Temple, # 5275, Theme: 3
Also known as College Building or Maze Building, this is a classical revival structure, constructed in 1900 and used as a meeting hall.
Octagon House, # 4394, Theme: 3
“Octagon mode” architectural example, constructed in the 1850s. NRHP site.
Hotel Calumet, # 5203, Theme: 5
Also known as the Forest Avenue Hotel, this is a classical revival structure, constructed in the 1920s. NRHP site.
George and Mary Agnes Dana House, # 5321, Theme: 3
1906 residential structure typifying the architectural elements of the American Movement. NRHP site.
South Main Street Historic District, # 4697, Theme: 5
Late 19th century commercial and specialty businesses. NRHP site.
North Main Street Historic District, # 5577, Theme: 5
This district includes commercial structures, a theater and restaurants. Architecturally, a mix of Italianate and Classic Revival styles. NRHP district.
El Dorado Apartments, # 5214, Theme: 3
1925 Classical Revival multiple dwelling, located close to downtown Fond du Lac. NRHP site.
Montgomery and Nancy Tallmadge House, # 5416, Theme: 3
1875 Italianate-style residential home. NRHP site.
Wallace-Juagdfeld Octagon House, # 5235, Theme: 3
1850s Octagon Mode residence. NRHP site.
Chicago and Northwestern Railroad Depot, # 5081, Theme: 5
Charles Sumner Frost Romanesque railroad depot, constructed circa 1891. NRHP site.
Prairie du Chien
Fort Crawford Military Hospital, # 41, Theme: 2
For Crawford was erected by the US army in 1816, one of a chain of forts that were constructed to provide protection for Yankee immigrants. It is on the NRHP and serves as a museum honoring the life and work of army surgeon, Dr William Beaumont.
Dousman Hotel, # 59, Theme: 2
NRHP site built as a railroad hotel in 1864 and originally known as the Dousman House.
Astor Fur Warehouse, # 65, Theme: 2
NRHP site that commemorates the site of Prairie du Chien as a hub for the fur trade in the early 1800s.
Villa Louis, # 73, Theme: 2
NRHP site, the late 19th century-restored home of the Grignon family.
Crawford County Courthouse, # 61, Theme: 2
The courthouse was operational between 1867nd 1896, but is on the site of an earlier “territorial dungeon” established in 1845. NRHP site.
Grand Army of the Republic Hall, #147, Theme: 3
The GAR meeting hall was erected after the Civil War and is probably the only such hall in existence in Wisconsin and the mid-west. NHRP site.
Boscobel Hotel, #204, Theme: 3
This 1863 hotel, once known as “The Central House” is supposedly the birthplace of the Gideon Bible when two salesmen conceived of the idea of a Gideon Society.
Unity Chapel, #140, Theme: 3
In 1886, J.L. Silsbee’s apprentice Frank Lloyd Wright assisted Silsbee in the interior design of this Lloyd Jones family chapel. NRHP listed site.
Hillside Home School, # 150, Theme: 3
This school was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1902, to be used by his aunts, but was later incorporated into Wright’s apprentice studio and school.
Taliesin, #235, Theme: 6
Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, this home and studio was occupied by the Wright family and students for several years.
Tower Hill State Park, # 249, Theme: 2
This state park contains a shot tower used to manufacture bullets, with the lead supplied by the nearby village of Helena. The shot tower is listed in the NRHP.
Mazomanie Downtown Historical District, #328, Theme: 3
Downtown Mazomanie is an excellent example of a Wisconsin railroad town. Several commercial buildings including the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad Depot retain historic integrity. NHRP historic district.
Prairie du Sac/Sauk City
Prairie du Sac Power Plant and Dam, #1072, Theme: 5
The dam and power plant was conceived by Magnus Swensen in 1905, to provide power for Sauk and Columbia counties. Lake Wisconsin was formed when the dam was built. NRHP site.
Aldo Leopold Shack, not listed, Theme: 6
“The shack” consists of a 250-acre parcel of sandy river-bottom land along both sides of the Wisconsin River. Aldo Leopold and his family restored the burned-out landscape with careful and extensive planting of native species, beginning in 1935. National Historic Landmark.
Wollersheim Winery, #941, Theme: 3
The vineyard was established in the 1840s and operated by the Kehl family until 1899. It is presently operated as a winery and vineyard, with many original buildings extant. NRHP site.
Honey Creek Swiss Rural Historic District, #683-1124, Theme: 3
723 structures listed within the district although not all have architectural integrity. The colony was founded in 1842 by Bartholomew Ragatz from Canton Graubuenden, Switzerland. The settlement’s farmsteads reflect several architectural characteristics of the inhabitants’ native land.
Lodi St.-Prairie St. Historic District, #1188, Theme: 3
Lodi was established in 1846 as a regional center for grist, flour, and saw mills, because of its proximity to Spring Creek, and continued as an important commercial and residential hub for the area.
Portage Street Historic District, #1211, Theme: 3
Both historic districts contain several architecturally significant mid-to-late 19th century commercial and residential structures.
Merrimac Ferry, #1431, Theme: 4
This ferry has been in existence since 1844, ferrying passengers and later automobiles between Okee and Merrimac. NRHP structure.
Archeological Sites with Restricted Addresses
Aebischer site, Chilton
Calumet County Park Group, Chilton
High Cliff Mounds, Sherwood
Ridge Group, Chilton
Stockbridge harbor, Stockbridge
Stockbridge Indian Cemetery, Stockbridge
Osprey Site, Kaukauna
Brainerd Site, Neenah
Carpenter Site, Eureka
Doty Island, Menasha
Doty island Village Site, Neenah
Kamrath Site, Winnecone
Lasley’s Point Site, Winnecone
Overton Archeological Site, Oshkosh
Fort Winnebago Site, Portage
Fox-Wisconsin Portage Site, Portage
Fond du Lac
Ceresco Site, Ripon
Pipe Site, Fond du Lac
Hamilton-Brooks Site ( The Mascoutin Village), Berlin
Sawle Mound Group Archeological District, Arena
Clipped Wing Eagle Mound, Eagle Township
Eagle Township Mound Group. Eagle Township
Hunting Eagle Mound, Eagle Township
Shadewald Mound, Eagle Township
Cipra Wayside Mound Group, Wauzeka
Pedretti III, Prairie du Chien
Reed, Alfred, Mound Group, Prairie du Chien