- About Us
- Photo Store
Hiking Safety Tips
Posted by AAGSidneycekzr on June 12th, 2014
Hiking, like all outdoor sports, requires a certain level of knowledge and research to have a safe and enjoyable experience. Before you get out and enjoy nature, consider these following tips:
- Wear sturdy shoes that are appropriate to the terrain you’ll be traveling across.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and in layers.
- Bring plenty of water.
- Do not drink untreated water from streams or creeks you come across. Boil water or use purfication tablets before using water from streams or the river for drinking or cooking.
- Bring a map and a compass to help you navigate the trails, particularly on the long distance trails.
- Check the weather forecast, and avoid hiking in extreme heat or cold
- Do not eat plants or berries you find along the trails
- Tell a friend or family member where you plan to go and when you expect to be back.
- If you get lost, stay put and call for help. Please be advised that cell phones may not work in some locations.
- Carry a whistle and use it if you are in distress.